A Kansas City Catholic priest was sentenced to 50 years in
prison on Thursday on federal child pornography charges for taking sexually explicit photos of
several young girls, including a 2-year-old.
Shawn Ratigan, 47, pleaded guilty in August 2012 to four counts of producing child
pornography and one count of attempting to produce child pornography.
"Society needs to be protected from you," U.S. District Judge Gary Fenner told Ratigan before
he pronounced the
sentence. "You did this to yourself."
Prosecutors had sought the 50-year sentence, which they had said would amount to a life
term, after it was discovered that he had taken hundreds of lewd photographs of young girls.
Ratigan, who was shackled and wore an orange jail jumpsuit, had pleaded with the judge to
sentence him to 15 years in prison, the shortest term possible.
"There are no words that I can express to tell you my sorrow, but it's there," Ratigan told the
judge. "I just couldn't help it."
"I know that God has forgiven me, my soul is in good shape," Ratigan said.
Prosecutors said Ratigan focused on girls from 2 to 12 years old and had committed multiple
crimes over six years. Several counts were dropped as part of the plea agreement.
The mother of a 2-year-old girl who Ratigan was convicted of abusing, told the judge the
priest should be put away for the full term because his actions had taken a lasting toll on the
girl, her family and rocked their faith in the church.
"Our baby, our little girl, has suffered," said the woman, who was not identified in court. "There
are monsters everywhere."
Ratigan had been known by members of the Catholic Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph as a
fun-loving priest who had a special fondness for recording children's parties and events with
his camera. His arrest in May 2011 rocked the community.
Outrage grew when evidence uncovered in the case revealed that Bishop Robert Finn and other
diocese officials became aware of Ratigan's actions in December 2010 after photos were found
on his laptop computer while it was being repaired, but did not notify authorities until May
2011.
Church officials ordered Ratigan to undergo psychological counseling and stay away from
children instead of turning him in immediately. During that period, Ratigan continued to
engage in activities with children and take more pornographic pictures.
Finn was charged with failing to report Ratigan to authorities, becoming the highest-ranking
U.S. Catholic official to face criminal charges in connection with a sexual abuse case involving
a priest.
Finn was found guilty in September 2012 of one misdemeanor count and sentenced to two
years probation.
More than two dozen civil lawsuits have been filed by victims of Ratigan naming the priest,
the Kansas City diocese and/or Finn as defendants.
"The victims are going to find closure in this sentence," said Rebecca Randles, an attorney
who represents most of the plaintiffs in the cases.
Evidence showed Ratigan's photos included close-up pictures of the children's genitals. One
child was photographed without pants next to a stained glass window in the choir loft of a
church where Ratigan served as pastor, according to court documents.
Some photos were taken "in trusted environments under the noses of the victims' parents,"
prosecutors said in a report justifying their request for a 50-year sentence.
Saturday, 14 September 2013
Priest sentenced to 50 years in jail for child porn
Related Posts:
Stop encouraging corruption, President Jonathan tells Nigerians While addressing the 54th Annual Conference of the Nigerian Economic Summit that held in Abuja yesterday, president Goodluck Jonathan blamed the level of corruption in Nigeria on the society. He said instead of punishing co… Read More
Music meets job securing tips- An initiative of Sterling Bank It's going to be the first time ever in the country, when a musical concert will meet job-securing tips on stage. An initiative of Sterling Bank, come September 20, ace music producer cum artiste, Banky W, Tribes Reco… Read More
"Jose Mourinho isn't special anymore" - checkout who said this The losses are stacking up for Jose Mourinho early into his return to Chelsea . Considering he was sacked after a 1-1 draw at home to Rosenberg in the Champions League six years ago, the sight of Roman Abramovich heading… Read More
Samsung confirms BBM on Galaxy smartphones Samsung confirmed that when BBM™, the mobile social network, launches for Android smartphones on the 21st September 2013, it will be available as a free download for Samsung Galaxy smartphones across Africa from the G… Read More
2 cars containing 6bodies that sank a decade apart are found in a lake after 40 years 2 cars containing 6bodies that sank a decade apart are found in a lake after 40 years They had lain undiscovered under an Oklahoma lake for fifty years. And now the discovery of two rusting vintage cars containing five bodi… Read More
0 comments:
Post a Comment