Cesc Fàbregas believes his former club Arsenal have managed to prise away Real Madrid's
second-best player with their dramatic deadline-day capture of Mesut Ozil.
Arsenal completed what is understood to be a club-record £42.5m swoop for Ozil on
Monday evening as Arsène Wenger finally landed a marquee signing after what had become
a frustrating summer on the transfer front.
Many of Ozil's former team-mates at Madrid have since expressed their surprise and
disappointment that the Germany international was allowed to leave the Bernabéu, and
Fabregas also admits he was taken aback by the news.
However, the Spain midfielder, who spent eight years at Arsenal before returning to
Barcelona in 2011, also feels the Gunners have got themselves a top player.
He told Spanish radio station Cadena Cope: "I was really surprised by Ozil's departure. He
seemed to me the second-best player at Madrid, after Cristiano [Ronaldo]. He'll be great for
Arsenal."
Fàbregas was
the subject of transfer interest from the Premier League this summer, with
champions Manchester United hoping to bring him back to England.
United saw two bids for Fàbregas rebuffed by Barça, who maintained they had no intention
of selling the 26-year-old, while the midfielder sought to end the speculation last month
when he declared he wanted to remain at the Nou Camp.
Touching on that subject, Fàbregas insists he could not have been tempted away from
Barça, even if he had been offered the chance to double his wages or the promise of
regular first-team football.
Fàbregas has struggled to tie down a starting spot at the Catalan giants, but he said: "The
tougher the challenge the better I like it and Barcelona was the biggest and most difficult,
and I want to finish in a happy manner and if I can retire at Barça, then so much the
better. The only thing in my head is triumphing at Barcelona.
"When I arrived at Barcelona I already knew there were other places where I could earn
more or where I could have more minutes, but coming to Barça was my dream. It was my
dream since I was small. I wouldn't go, not even for double the money."
Wednesday, 4 September 2013
Fabregas surprised by Ozil's record £42.5m move to Arsenal
Related Posts:
Andy Murray defeats Djokovic to win Wimbledon From the lawns of Wimbledon to the lochs of Scotland, all of Britain can celebrate. Andy Murray made it possible Sunday, winning his country's hallowed tennis tournament to become the first British man in 77 years to ra… Read More
Didier Drogba Set To Build $4.2 M Hospital In Abidjan Chelsea FC star and Ivorian National team captain ,Didier drogba is planning to build a 4.2 million dollar hospital in Abidjan. Drogba's manager thierno seydi was in Cote d’Ivoire to conclude agreements with the Ivorian au… Read More
Brazilian referee beheaded by spectators after he fatally stabs player Police in northern Brazil say one man has been arrested after a referee who fatally stabbed a player during a match was decapitated by spectators who stormed the field. Local reports said the incident, which too… Read More
Barca at home for first El Clasico Barcelona will host Real Madrid for the first time next season on October 26 or 27, the Spanish league said when the 2013-14 fixtures were announced on Tuesday. Tito Vilanova's side face a new opponent in the dugout of … Read More
Arsenal Launch New away kit [Watch Trailer] Arsenal Football Club and Nike will officially unveil the Club’s new away kit for 2013/14 on Tuesday, with a special unveiling at Emirates Stadium featuring a selection of first-team players. The event, which will give su… Read More
0 comments:
Post a Comment