Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger described Mesut Ozil's first-half performance
as "absolutely amazing" after the German scored his first goal for the club and
inspired them to a commanding 2-0 victory over Napoli in the Champions
League on Tuesday.
Ozil, who joined Arsenal for a club-record transfer fee of £42.5 million from Real Madrid on
transfer deadline day a month ago, opened the scoring after eight minutes and provided the
final touch for Oliver Giroud to score the second seven minutes later.
He was also the creative heart of most of Arsenal's sublime play and his touch, vision and
movement were virtually faultless.
Wenger, whose team have now won 10 successive matches including a penalty shootout
victory over West Bromwich Albion in the League Cup last week, was delighted after his side
brushed aside Napoli in the group match, saying the first-half performance was "the best we
have played here for a long time".
He reserved special praise for Ozil on a night when Arsenal rekindled the class and confidence
of their glory days under Wenger nearly a decade ago.
"He had an outstanding first half, he was absolutely amazing," Wenger said of the German
international.
"He was fantastic and it was good he scored his first goal. When it goes on too long before
you score, it's always on your mind, so he got rid of that.
"He had everything fans want to see from a great player: individual skill, team play, finishing,
final ball," he told reporters.
"I loved him when he played for Real Madrid too, I must say; I thought he was great for Madrid
and we are just lucky to have got him.
"He enjoys playing football, he enjoys playing with his partners. He has integrated very quickly
with the team and it helps that he has come when we are doing well, it makes it easier. Of
course he has given everyone at the club a lift and belief, and belief is a part of the success of
football."
Wednesday, 2 October 2013
Wenger praises Ozil's performance
Related Posts:
Breaking News !! Chelsea agree £49.2m deal to sign Edinson Cavani Chelsea’s search for a world-class striker may finally be at an end after Napoli reportedly accepted a €58m (£49.2m) offer from the Blues for star man Edinson Cavani. The news was broken by Radio Marte, Napoli’s official… Read More
Obuh resigns as coach of U-20 team John Obuh has handed in his resignation letter, stepping down as coach of Nigeria’s U-20 team. Obuh, who has spent the last six years coaching different youth teams of the country, sent in his letter to the NFF on Thursda… Read More
Just In !! Arsenal Signs Yaya Sanogo Premier League giants Arsenal have completed the signing of French youth international striker Yaya Sanogo from Auxerre, with the forward set to link up with his new side following the completion of the 2013 FIFA Under-20 … Read More
Mikel May Leave Stamford Bridge For Turkey It has been reported that Nigerian international and Chelsea midfielder John Mikel Obi may be leaving Stamford Bridge club Chelsea for Galatasaray in Turkey come the new season. Mikel may not be resuming with Jose Mourin… Read More
Football Gossip : Paulinho confirms £17m move to Tottenham The Brazil midfielder Paulinho has confirmed he will join Tottenham Hotspur from Corinthians in a £17m deal. The 24-year-old, who was voted the third-best player at the Confederations Cup, will link up… Read More
0 comments:
Post a Comment