Category 6 (Carousel)

Tuesday 22 October 2013

Get to know How Ferguson sold Ronaldo

Former Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has
lifted the lid on how he promised Cristiano Ronaldo his
dream move to Real Madrid .
In Alex Ferguson: My Autobiography, which goes on
general sale on Thursday, the Scot tells of how then
Madrid president Ramon Calderon's public overtures riled
him to the extent that he refused to sanction a sale
despite Ronaldo's desire to move to Spain.
Ronaldo would eventually join Madrid for £80
million (€94m) in 2009, which Ferguson
believes was a
statement of intent from re-
instated president Florentino Perez.
The Scot writes: "Madrid paid £80 million in
cash for him, and do you know why? It was a
way for Florentino Perez, their president, to say
to the world, ‘We are Real Madrid, we are the
biggest of the lot'.
"When the possibility of him leaving edged
towards being a probability, I reached a
gentleman’s agreement with him.
"I went to Carlos’s house in Portugal to find
the boy expressing an urge to go to Real Madrid, and told him: 'You can’t go this year, not after
the way Calderon has approached the issue'.
"I said, ‘I know you want to go to Real Madrid. But I’d rather shoot you than sell you to that guy
now. If you perform, don’t mess us about, and someone comes and offers a world record fee, then
we will let you go.’
"I did well to calm him down. I told him that the reason I was refusing to sell him that year was
because of Calderon. I said, ‘If I do that, all my honour’s gone, everything’s gone for me, and I
don’t care if you have to sit in the stands. I know it won’t come to that, but I just have to tell you
I will not let you leave this year'."

0 comments:

Post a Comment