A young Chinese couple are facing criminal punishment for “selling” their infant daughter
and using the proceeds to buy an Apple iPhone, state media said Friday.
Shanghai prosecutors have brought a case against them for human trafficking after they
illegally put their third child up for adoption online and accepted money for the baby, the
Liberation Daily reported.
Investigators found the mother, whose full name was not given, used the money to buy
an iPhone, high-end sports shoes and other goods, it said.
Apple’s products are wildly popular in China, where a teenager sold his kidney and used
the funds to buy an iPhone and iPad in an incident widely reported last year.
But the couple told police that they wanted the girl to have a better upbringing than they
could afford, since they already had two children.
“Giving away the child was not for obtaining benefits, but giving the child better
guarantees,” one said.
Some Chinese, especially in rural areas, have a traditional preference for sons though
reports did not say if the child’s gender was also a factor in the case.
Online commentary condemned the couple, though some used black humour to describe
modern Chinese society and the quest for wealth.
“So cold-blooded! These people do not deserve the right to be parents!” said
Wangzhan1969 in a microblog posting.
“This is good business — no capital, huge profit and no need to sell kidneys,” said
another posting.
An official of the prosecutor’s office handling the case expressed worry over
“sensationalism” surrounding the affair but declined to comment further to AFP.
Shanghai police could not be reached for comment.
Reports did not give the amount the couple received for the child, but their online
postings asked for 30,000 yuan and 50,000 yuan ($4,900 and $8,200).
Apple last month launched the iPhone 5s, including a gold-coloured model, and the more
budget-conscious iPhone 5c in China.
Friday, 18 October 2013
Shocker: Couple sell daughter for iPhone
Related Posts:
300 Nigerian girls languishing in Libyan prisons....Report THE Initiative for Youth Awareness on Migration, Immigration, Development and Re-integration, IYAMIDR, yesterday, raised alarm that over 300 Nigerian girls are languishing in different prisons in Libya. It called on the Fed… Read More
Mob attacks Gay engagement ceremony A British man and his Haitian partner were attacked by dozens of locals who threw molotov cocktails and rocks at the couple’s private engagement ceremony, police said. Several people were injured, two cars were set ab… Read More
US billionaire unveils plans for Hyperloop that will shoot passengers from Paypal billionaire Elon Musk, inset, has revealed plans for a radical new 'Hyperloop' transport system that could 'shoot' passengers from Los Angeles to San Francisco in 30 minutes. Travellers enter aluminium pods mounted b… Read More
"FG can't meet ASUU's N92b demand' - Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala says Minister of finance, Ngozi Okonjo Iweala said yesterday during the opening of the two-day meeting of Commissioners of Finance and Accountants-General of States, that the federal government can't meet the N92billion being de… Read More
The story of Ike Ibeabuchi: The dream that never was Ike was on his way to becoming one of the best heavy weights of all time when he was imprisoned in the US following charges that he tried to rape a woman in Las Vegas in July 1999. The former professional heavyweight boxer,… Read More
0 comments:
Post a Comment