Toward the end of a tough year with zero Grand Slam final appearances, Roger Federer is
splitting with coach Paul Annacone.
Federer, who owns a record 17 Grand Slam titles, announced Saturday on his website that he
will stop working with Annacone after 3 ½ seasons together.
"After numerous conversations culminating at the end of our most recent training block, we felt
like this was the best time and path for both of us," the posting continues.
The move comes only two days after Federer's latest surprising loss in a year filled with them:
He was beaten 6-4, 6-7 (5), 6-3 in the third round of the Shanghai Masters by Gael Monfils, a
former top-10 player now ranked 42nd and recently back from injury.
The defeat hurt the 32-year-old Federer's chances of qualifying for the season-ending ATP
Tour Finals, a tournament that gathers the top eight singles players.
Federer used to be a lock for the field, year-in and year-out — he spent more
weeks at No. 1 in
the ATP rankings than any other man. But Federer was ranked only No. 7 last Monday and is
no longer nearly the dominant presence he was for a decade.
The tournament in China was the first for Federer since his fourth-round exit at the U.S. Open,
where he lost to 19th-seeded Tommy Robredo in straight sets on Sept. 3.
"Roger, when he was No. 1, [compared] to the Roger right now," Robredo said that day, "he's
not maybe [playing] with the same confidence, no?"
Monday, 14 October 2013
Roger Federer parts ways with coach
Related Posts:
Ronaldo 'signs new five-year deal worth £75m to end career at Madrid' and overtake Messi as highest-paid player in Spain Cristiano Ronaldo has reportedly signed a new five-year deal with Real Madrid worth £75million to keep him at the club for the rest of his career. The Portugal forward had been linked with an emotional return to Manchester … Read More
"Doing the Impossible" Luis Suarez's agent urges Arsenal to make £40M bid Luis Suarez's agent has told Arsenal a £40million bid will be enough to secure his signature.The Gunners' unsuccessful opening offer of £30million was spurned by Liverpool last week for their controversial striker, … Read More
Why would you swap Liverpool to go to Arsenal?' - Brendan Rodgers tells Luis Suarez Brendan Rodgers has warned Luis Suarez that it would be a mistake to leave Liverpool for Arsenal following the improved offer from the Gunners in their attempt to lure the striker to the Emirates. Arsenal followed up th… Read More
Breaking News ! Tito Vilanova has left Barcelona Barcelona president, Sandro Rosell has confirmed that manager, Tito Vilanova has stepped down from his role due to a relapse in his ongoing cancer struggle that saw him miss almost three months of the 2012-2013 season. “… Read More
Stop complaining if I don’t call -Super Eagles Head Coach Stephen Keshi Super Eagles Head Coach Stephen Keshi has urged his players to show patriotism while featuring for the country. Keshi said it was unconventional for coaches to inform players before they are dropped from the national team… Read More
0 comments:
Post a Comment