Category 6 (Carousel)

Friday 5 July 2013

Ryan Giggs becomes Manchester United coach

David Moyes on Thursday makes his formal introduction as Manchester United manager having added the ultimate club icon to his backroom team.
Ryan Giggs has taken the first step from player to coach, adopting the dual role for the forthcoming season in an astute early move by the Moyes regime.
Giggs's appointment to the coaching staff was confirmed alongside that of former United defender and midfielder Phil Neville, Moyes's captain at Everton. In what promises to be a tricky first press call for Moyes as the shadow of Wayne Rooney's future lurks over proceedings, the promotion of two loyal lieutenants steeped in United tradition is symbolic.
Moyes will have to field questions about Rooney's state of mind having inherited the potentially incendiary situation from Sir Alex Ferguson. The new manager may welcome the opportunity to establish his authority and restore order over the issue when
he addresses the media at Old Trafford today.
Rooney's advisers have denied Ferguson's claim he made his second transfer request in three years at the end of last season and it is believed the player wants United to confirm that. At the same time, a move to Chelsea attracts the England striker and the impasse appears to be more about determining whether a transfer will be player or club-led in the eyes of the supporters. United have always insisted they have no wish to sell Rooney to a Premier League rival.
The elevation of Giggs - the definitive one-club man - presents an opportunity to focus on more positive developments, contrasting with the ambiguity surrounding Rooney's commitment to Old Trafford. Giggs, 39, said he was planning ahead for a career in coaching and will see his addition to the backroom unit as the ideal chance to ease into the next phase of his career.
"It's no secret that I have been taking my qualifications and I see this as the first step in my future career," said Giggs. "I'm really looking forward to working alongside David and the team." Similarly, Neville has stalled when offered several coaching opportunities this summer in the hope Moyes would lure him back to his boyhood club.
Neville said: "When I retired from football I knew that I wanted to continue in the game; it's something that I have been preparing for over the last few years. So when David called to give me this opportunity, I couldn't resist. I gave my all when I played for Everton but it is no secret that this club is in my heart.
"I've really enjoyed working with David and his staff as a player and I think that, together with Ryan, we can make a real contribution to Manchester United." Moyes said: "I'm delighted that Ryan has accepted the chance to become player-coach. His ability to adapt his game over a number of years gives him an unrivalled perspective on the modern game.
I'm sure that both he and the players will benefit from his new role." On Neville, Moyes said: "I have known and worked with Philip for eight years and in that time I have come to know his dedication, ability to lead and appetite for hard work. In addition, of course, he understands the club very well and I think his addition to the coaching staff will be a valuable one."

0 comments:

Post a Comment