Category 6 (Carousel)

Wednesday 29 May 2013

Xclusive! Meet Akin, Nigerian Canadian Artist



 The Nigerian-born artist “Akin” pushes the boundaries of music. Mixing R&B with Hip Hop, Reggae and his African roots, Akin is a one-of-a-kind musician whose diverse background has helped him perfect an original voice that parallels his unique sound. “In my short years here on earth, I’ve experienced a lot that inspires what I write about,” he says. Raised from a family of sixteen children, Akin learned to express himself from an early age. First performing when he was nine, he grew up with music in his bones and fell in love with writing songs at an early age. “Growing up in Africa and then traveling to Canada gave me the mix of African and Western influences,” he says.The universal appeal of Akin is sure to make him a household name. The personal experiences of this up-and-coming artist not only set him apart from other musicians, but also offer a unique perspective on issues affecting everyone’s lives. The album “True Stories” shows off the best tracks of urban music. Blending various influences into one, it defies stereotypes to offer critics and fans alike, a true original sound that will leave any listener wanting more. Through his prolific talents, Akin shows he is a 21st century storyteller.
Akin saved up some time to grant gistbybit an exclusive interview.. just click on the read more link and get to know more about this Nigerian Canadian music star.



Tell us about yourself ?

My name is Akin, I'm a singer, songwriter, actor, author and a producer
(Every good thing I find my hands to do).  I was born in a family of
sixteen in Lagos-Ikeja, Nigeria in 1984. Nigeria is where I spent over
half my years before migrating to Canada at the age of 18 . In Canada, I had
to learn the culture for sometime and find my place but I'm grateful that
I've found it and so far I've had the honour and privilege of winning
different awards here in Canada and I've been given the opportunity on
numerous occasion to represent Nigeria in a positive light which I believe
I am doing effectively.
Have you always enjoyed the art of music ?

Yes. I've always enjoyed writing songs and singing. I wrote my first song
when I was 7 years old and I never looked back since then. Music is part
of me now, I can't let go.

First song ever sung ?

I can't remember the first song since my mum always says I started singing
in the womb (just kidding). Mama said I started singing when I was 2 years
old, so I can't remember my first song but I remember the first song I
wrote when I was 7 years old. It was a song on heart break and I remember
singing that. I still remember the words to the song this day.

Any loves other than music?

I love reading; I read lots of leadership books, mostly: "John Maxwell"
books, spiritual books "The Bible"  off course and other books on religion
and theology. Also, I love sports, soccer (football) to be specific and
"Arsenal Football Club" is my team I'm a Gunner 4life.

Secret cravings?

This might sound weird but what I crave most is to: provide for the less
fortunate. If I have the means, I will build schools, free houses for all
& give, give give and give freely just to put a smile on someone's face
and let them know there is hope for tomorrow and good still exists in our
world.

What is the most trouble you have gotten into?

Travelling to Canada without knowing anyone here and having just $1,000 in
my pocket. At that time (18 years of age), I wasn't thinking
properly(lol). I was too excited that i would be travelling so I made
plans all with my emotions of excitement and no proper planning/thinking
for worst case scenerios. No in-depth thinking on the possibilities of
running low on cash, nothing!!!. The truth of the matter is, by the time I
left the airport in Nigeria I spent $100 dollars already, giving money to
some corrupt officials who swore not to let me travel unless I pay them
first and by the time I entered into Canada, I had just $800 left, since I
had to buy a winter jacket to enter into the country since it was really
cold compared to Nigeria on my arrival date. Then coupled with hotel,
feeding and all that, my $800 finished in no time. The rest was to live by
faith, and rely on God. But all that would have been avoided/reduced by
proper planning. It was a shocker.


What are the five things you can't live without ?

The things I can't live without are:
- God: Without God, I am nothing.
- Family: Without my family, loneliness is my best friend. No man is an
island.
- Music: Music is oxygen, without it, I am breathless.
- Vision: My dreams and aspirations give me hope for the future.
- Passion: That is what keeps my fire burning most times, without it, no
engine room and I would give up.


Which favourite song do you belt out..whether at home or in the car?

This is a tough question, I am sure most musicians will find it hard to
give a straight answer to it but let me try. The new song I write becomes
my best for the time being. The new  inspiration becomes the new best
thing. All my songs come at different times of my life, they are all based
on real life experiences, real events or thoughts so the new one always
wins for the moment until I get another inspiration.


What's your motto or advice you go by?


There are so many of them but here is one example:
- The journey of a thousand miles begins with just a step: I love this
quote so much because it reminds me that the little actions matter.
Sometimes we get carried away with the big events, we want great success
and forget the little details that make up the great events. And the quote
sums up the fact that "Rome wasn't built in a day" so it takes patience /
time to achieve/see results.


Where do you plan to be in ten years?


If God permits, I see myself working with kids and the less fortunate in
our world. Maybe building schools, shelter for the homeless, helping the
poor, doing other humanitarian work and of course recording more songs and
touring the world if possible.


For our audience who have never heard your music,explain your sound in
5words?


- Uplifting
- Inspiring
- Unique
- Powerful
- Timeless



Which Nigerian or Foreign artist would you like to sing with.?

- For Nigeria, there are thousands of them but "TuFace" tops the list
since most people say we kinda sound alike.

- For international artist, there are lots of them as well, some of the
artist I can remember now are: "R.Kelly", "Wyclef", "Lauryn Hill", "Jill
Scott", "Akon", "Alicia Keys", "Kirk Franklin", "Donnie Mcclurkin", "John
Legend" EST.


Where do you draw inspiration from..for your music.

From God. Music is divine, so its spiritual. To hear a melody in your head
and convert it to sounds that others can hear and enjoy is a gift I am
forever grateful for but inspirations can sometimes come from my personal
experiences, real life events and so on but I strongly believe God has a
hand in all aspects of life, that is why I said God. God is the giver of
gifts and music is one of them.


 He just released his new single from his up-coming album. The single
is called "Harmony" its a plea for world peace and the song is available
for downloads on all these stores:
iTunes , Spotify, Amazon MP3, Google Play, Rdio, Deezer, Xbox Music,
Rhapsody, eMusic, simfy, Muve Music, MySpace Music, iHeartRadio, Nokia,
MediaNet, VerveLife, Wimp, Sony Music Unlimited

 50% of the proceeds from the song go to UNICEF.

click to download

Akin.
Singer. Songwriter. Actor. Author. Producer & Director
WEBSITE: www.akinmusic.com
Twitter: @AkinMusic
Facebook: /AkinMusic
U&I Music.
www.uimusic.ca

0 comments:

Post a Comment