Category 6 (Carousel)

Friday 24 May 2013

80 Year-Old-Man Climbs Everest, Breaks Record

Yuichiro Miura, an 80-year-old adventurer, reached the summit of Mount Everest around noon Japan time on Thursday, becoming the oldest person ever to do so.
Mr. Miura had left a base camp situated at 5300 meters last Thursday to then conquer glacial lakes and climb a wall of ice called the “Lhotse Face” in his final path to the summit, according to the Japanese broadcaster NHK.
“This is the best feeling in the world. I never thought I’d reach the summit at 80 years old. This is the happiest moment of my life,” he said in a phone call to his daughter in Tokyo upon reaching the summit.
Mount Everest, also known as Chomolungma, or “Goddess Mother of the Mountains” in Tibetan, is the world’s tallest mountain with a peak of 8848 meters. It was first conquered by Sir Edmund Hillary and the Tibetan Tenzing Norgay in 1953. Mr. Miura had previously conquered the mountain’s summit when he was 70 and 75.
Previously, the record was held by a 76-year-old Tibetan man.
“I’m very tired, but even at 80 years old I feel I can keep on going,” Mr. Miura said.

0 comments:

Post a Comment