Category 6 (Carousel)

Sunday 16 June 2013

Obey- What Fatai Rolling Dollar told me two days to his death


The veteran highlife musician died on Wednesday morning of June 12 at Maritol  Medical Hospital, Surulere, Lagos State. The octogenarian was said to have been rushed to the hospital on June 10 by one of his wives,  Zainab and was said to have been responding to treatment.
The body of legendary highlife artiste, Fatai Rolling Dollar, was on Thursday, buried in Ikorodu, Lagos State. FRD as he was fondly called by his close associates, was buried at his uncompleted house on Number 4, Unity Street, Maya Village, Ikorodu. The burial was witnessed by dignitaries, family and colleagues in the entertainment industry, such as President, Performing Musicians Association of Nigeria (PMAN), Admiral Dele Abiodun, Evangelist Obey and Stella Monye.
The deceased was said to have struggled to make
ends meet, but got a new lease of life after French Cultural Centre brought him back into public consciousness. He later got a higher lift through Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, while as Lagos State governor.
Chief Ebenezer Obey, while speaking with R said he was shocked at the news of Fatai Rolling Dollar’s death, describing him as a nice friend.
Obey noted that aside the fact that he had lost his boss, it was also sad that the entertainment industry had equally lost a legend, “I will miss him so much. Our relationship was more cordial before his death. We talked often, especially when he returned from abroad. But there is nothing we can do when we hear the clarion call. We spoke two days before his death and he told me he got my message, which I had earlier sent. When I saw his remains, I wept and said this is the end”.
Recounting what they discussed last, Obey said, “Baba Fatai Rolling Dollar prayed for me, but I never knew that I was receiving his last blessing. His death is painful”, he said.

0 comments:

Post a Comment